Pay homage to the rodents with this Halloween rat recipe. An edible chocolate rat is the perfect addition to the dessert table at any Halloween party. This winning recipe was submitted by Beth Jackson Klosterboer of Hungry Halloween. Follow these directions to make your own chocolate rats. You’ll frighten and feed your guests all at once!
Longtail Rat Recipe
Ingredients and equipment:
- 18 ounces Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese, softened and divided
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pink paste or gel food coloring
- 2 chocolate chips
- Food processor
- Plastic wrap
- Wilton disposable 12 inch decorating bags
- Wilton round #12 decorating tip
- Wilton round #3 decorating tip
- Pastry bag coupler
- Pour cookies into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the cookies are fine crumbs. Remove 2/3 cup crumbs and set aside. Add 7 ounces cream cheese to the food processor and pulse until mixture is completely combined, scraping bowl as needed.
- Reserve about 3 tablespoons of the cookie/cream cheese dough for Longtail’s legs and ears. Pour the remaining dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to help you form the dough into a long oval. Unwrap.
- Pour reserved cookie crumbs into a long shallow container. Roll dough oval into crumbs, shaping the body as you go. Place on a serving platter.
- Press the two chocolate chips onto either side of Longtail’s face. Pinch off small amounts of the reserved dough and roll into 2 short skinny front legs and two longer wider back legs. Attach to body. Pinch off two small balls of dough and flatten them into ears. Attach to head.
- Combine the remaining 1 ounce of cream cheese with the powdered sugar and one very small drop of pink food coloring. Stir until combined.
- Spoon pink cream cheese into a pastry bag fitted with a coupler and # 12 decorating tip. Click on the link below for really simple directions about how to add couplers and decorating tips to a pastry bag.
- Pipe a long tail onto the back of Longtail’s body. Start by setting the decorating tip at Longtail’s back end. Squeeze and as the frosting comes out of the tip, pull out and around the body, tapering off as you go.
- Pipe on a nose and pipe some pink onto each ear. Remove the #12 decorating tip and replace it with a #3 tip. Pipe on Longtails’ toes. Keep refrigerated for up to a week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
3,640 total views, 1 views today